Thursday, July 9, 2009

weak

I am a picture of weakness these days. Twenty-nine weeks pregnant (which, for me, means I'm wider than I am tall), needing snacks even more often than the kids, and unable to go into the 105 degree heat-index outdoors for more than about 10 minutes without wondering if I'm going to faint. Most of all, I'm weepy. I cried three times on Tuesday, once while trying to read aloud from a Laura Ingalls Wilder book. It was a happy Christmas scene but I couldn't get through it without breaking down, despite having read it so many times during my childhood (and again as a teacher) that I could probably recite it without having the book open.

My biggest issue, by far, is trying to wrap my brain around getting into the minivan on Monday morning and driving away toward Indiana, leaving Dan here. My brain knows we'll be fine, but my insides feel like I'm about to rip myself in half. If I think too much about it I can't breathe.

In church on Sunday the lectionary reading was from 2 Cor. 12: 7-10. I'm not sure exactly what Paul's context was (a dream?) but the part that stuck with me was this: "for when I am weak, then I am strong. " Later in the paragraph it says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for (God's) power is made perfect in weakness." Now if there's something I need these days, it's divinely perfect power and strength. So, I get to look at this situation as my opportunity to bask in power and strength, because the weakness is getting ridiculous.

Isn't it fantastic when the very verse you need to hear is what's placed before you? Thanks be to God.

2 comments:

  1. Amy....I can sooo relate to this! But, be thankful.....when we are at our weakest, God provides us with the most strength! He will show up for you! I clung to these verses during my chemo....and God never let me down! I wrote about it in my blog in February I beleive.... Anyway, will be sending up lots of prayers for you and your journey! Hugs to you my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy~I am so happy for you guys! You will do wonderfully. I would love to go down there for a visit once things settle down a bit for you.

    ReplyDelete